My grandma passed away on Thursday. She was such a wonderful grandma and we will all miss her. She had multiple sclerosis and over the last 9 months she started to be hugely effected by it, although it had bothered her for years. We are happy for her to be free from the restrictions of an imperfect body - she is much happier now- not that she was unhappy before. She just couldn't do anything anymore by the time she passed. She couldn't walk or use her hands anymore, which was so frustrating for her. She is also with my grandpa again, who passed away 4 1/2 years ago. I miss them both intensely, but I know I will see them again - and for that I am grateful. I miss hearing my grandpa saying "shhh don't mother" as he does something he shouldn't, like splashing the old ladies at the swimming pool. And my grandma saying "Jooohhhn!" (John).
Grandma came along with my family to my brother Steve's graduation from medical school in Iowa 3 years ago. Here we are at the field of dreams.
Last September my brother Ben was ordained an Elder in the Church. My grandma was giving my boys rides in her wheelchair.
This was on Sunday. The nurses had been telling my Mom that they thought Grandma would pass in the next week or two, so Mom wanted us to all make sure to visit her before she died. I decided to take Lauren up for her to see. Lauren was only 2 /12 weeks old. I know how much I love having a baby lay with me, and though Grandma would like it as well. I think she liked it, except that it was hard for her to see Lauren. I learned that Grandma always loved the name Lauren and had wanted to name a girl that, but she only had three boys of her own. She "inherited" my mom, her 3 sisters, and my uncle when she married my grandpa. My mom's own mother died of cancer when my mom was 12. Grandma has been a real mother to my mom and her siblings, which says a lot about who she is and how she lived. After the weekend was over, and Grandma had been visited by so many people that she was just worn out, she told one of the nurses that she thought someone must have told everyone that she was going to die. She said "Well I have news for them: I'm not going anywhere!"
I love and miss you Grandma!!
Here is a link to her obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=janice-hollingshaus&pid=151341646
No comments:
Post a Comment