Wednesday, May 11, 2011

One Week Old

Lauren is so fun to have in our home.  The boys love to talk to her, and Dylan even said the other day how he didn't realize how much he would love having a sister.  Jayden finally held her for the first time yesterday and fed her a bottle for me.  Lauren has been our most alert baby at this age because her levels of bilirubin have been lower than the other babies.  It has been so fun to have her be awake and looking around so much.  She loves to snuggle with me, and of course I love that, too.  She is strong and has been lifting her head up since the day she was born.  She isn't the greatest sleeper at night.  I have found that if I really want a good stretch of sleep, its going to be with her in our bed.  I try not to do that too much, but when I do, it makes such a difference. 


Austin LOVES Lauren and can hardly leave her alone.  When he sees her he gets all excited and giggles and makes kind of a guttural "kkk" sound.  I think it is supposed to be a tickling sound, but who knows for sure.  He loves to touch her toes, her face, her hands, her bows.  So far, the tough brotherly love has included bows being pulled and let go to snap back to her head, binkies stolen and sucked on, bottles stolen and sucked on, bouncing her in her chair, rocking her in her car seat, trying to carry her to me by the feet which resulted in a small dropping on her head (luckily since she was upside-down and being carried by a 19 month old, her head was only about 3 or 4 inches off the ground).  It all happened so quick I didn't have a chance to even try to stop it.  First Austin tried to put her binky in her mouth, but since she was propped up on the couch, he couldn't reach her mouth.  So he brought me her binky.  He must have decided to bring Lauren to me, since the next time I looked over I saw him standing there with his arms full of a blanket and a little head hanging out at the bottom.  It took me a second to even register what I was seeing, and by then she was on the floor. I picked her up and she just went right back to sleep.  Honestly I don't think it really even woke her up.  Of course I have learned I can't have her within Austin's reach at all.  If she's not in my arms she is either in her bouncy chair on my bed or on the table, or somewhere else out of his reach. 

5 comments:

Rachel said...

she is the cutest little girl. I love her! And even though Austin maybe slightly abusive, I think it's so sweet he's so in love with her. Also, in those pictures he looks almost exactly as I remember Dylan looking when I came out to New York when Jayden was born. It feels very Deja vu to me, except for the girl outfits on Lauren.

James said...

Congratulations, Lauren is just beautiful. I have to say after my intial shock reaction, the story about Austin holding her by the toes and dropping her made me giggle.

Nancy K said...

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!

David and Jana said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations.

Jenny said...

Cute girl! She will have lots of protection and "tough" love I'm sure. Good things babies are pretty good at taking it.