This was my favorite day so far. It just really felt like everything was wonderful. We got off the boat as a family and walked around the port together. We did leave Ashlyn in the nursery, which I felt bad about, but she probably wouldn't have enjoyed the port as much, and it was nice to not worry about her getting fussy. I really loved letting my boys see such a different place from where we live. We told the boys they could pick something to buy here, so most out time was spent looking for that perfect souvenir. The kids got introduced to how haggling at these kinds of places work. Some of them did better than others at figuring the system out.
Random fountain ( I was a little picture happy)
Cool basket weaving guy.
Ethan was looking at some of the wood animals here and before Devon or I knew it, the guy had asked Ethan if he wanted his name carved into the dog he was holding. Ethan didn't know any better and said yes. Of course, we felt obliged to buy it. We should have walked away until the guy offered it at a ridiculously cheap price. He wanted $18 for it. We at least asked if Lauren could get a turtle she was eyeing with the dog for that price. In retrospect, we really shouldn't have felt obliged. He was playing Ethan. But, Ethan is happy with his dog, and Lauren is happy with her turtle.
Lauren enjoyed the flowers with me.
After looking in the main port/tourist area we decided to take our kids a little bit into the real Jamaica. We had been warned to be very careful. Jamaica is not safe. We felt a little crazy bringing our huge family down the street. There were vendors there, and they were really pushy. I told the kids to quit talking to them and stop letting them give things to hold to convince them to buy them. After we had walked a short distance... about a half a block or maybe a block, we decided to turn around. One of the kids told me they didn't like how it felt there. That was what I wanted them to see and feel. It's very different than anything they have ever seen.
On our way back we stopped at this coconut stand, just inside the tourist area. It was so fun to watch the guy use his knife to open it up. Then we all drank the water. Once we were done with that he chopped it the rest of the way open with a big machete, which was really cool to watch too, and then we could eat the meat. I have never tasted a coconut so yummy! This was one of my favorite memories with my kids the whole trip.
After the coconut we went back through the vendors and bought the things the kids had selected. Austin has his snake and shark, Jayden his drum, Dylan his shark and alligator (he also bought a chess set), Ethan his dog, and Lauren with her turtle and drum.
Once we got back to the boat we were excited to do the Aquaduck some more. We did it the first day, the next day was Sunday so we didn't swim, then the next two days it was so rainy it was closed.
After swimming we got dressed and ready for pirate night. We were ready enough before dinner to catch some of the characters. While we waited in line Lauren fell asleep. It was kind of a bummer to not have her awake, but she was really cute sleeping.
Austin got grumpy when we got to the front and wouldn't get off this chair he had been waiting on as we waited in line. Minnie was so cute and came over to try and convince him to join us, but she wasn't successful either.
This wall is so pretty in the Royal Court.
These next few pictures show what a typical dinner went like for us. Lots of fussing and crying.
When the photographer came around they told us to do pirate faces. We have some pretty good pirates in our family. Ashlyn's crying almost looks like she's doing her pirate face as well.
This evening was a little crazy. Devon went to watch Tomorrowland, Ashlyn and Austin were ready for bed, Dylan was sick, and I think Jayden, Ethan, and Austin were in their class for the pajama party. Lauren and I went to watch the Mickey Pirate show up on the swimming deck. It was so much fun I wished more of the family was there with me. I don't think a single other Gibson was there, but I think they all would have loved it. If there is a next time, I know I will tell everyone to come join me.


















No comments:
Post a Comment