Sunday, February 2, 2014

Ashlyn's blessing

We blessed Ashlyn on February 2.  We were bummed to miss a few family members (Rachel and David, Lance and Kim, Steve, and Ben), but it's impossible to get everyone, so I guess that's just how it goes.  I have still been feeling a bit overwhelmed with things so we just had the blessing, and didn't worry about doing a big get together.  I feel bad in some ways about it, but you can only do so much at certain times of your life.  The important thing is that she has been blessed.  


We were glad to have both Grandpas there to help bless Ashlyn, as well as Uncle Jon, Uncle Tony, Uncle Brandt, Uncle Jason, and Uncle Colby.  We sure missed the rest!  I wish we could have gotten a picture of those there, but that just doesn't work out as well when you don't do a big get together.



Devon gave Ashlyn a beautiful blessing.  Its always hard to remember what was said, but a neighbor, Hilary Weeks, was so kind and randomly emailed me the things she remembered from the blessing.  A huge thank you to her!!

  • She will be blessed with a testimony of the  gospel and the Atonement. 
  • As she develops and follows the example of her mother and other strong women, her testimony will grow.
  • She will be blessed with a knowledge of a living prophet on earth and the desire to follow his counsel and direction.
  • When the time is right, she will find a young man to take her to the temple and love and take care of her. She will be blessed to bring children into the world to praise and glorify thee.  
  • Pronounce theses blessings and many others that are in store for her.







I actually took Ashlyn to get her picture taken professionally in her dress.  Its something I meant to do with all the kids, but the Walmart version I did with Dylan when we were poor college students came back with a flaw that must have been on the camera lens - and it was right on Dylan's face.  I was so distraught I refused the pictures - but looking back I shouldn't have.  I think with the coupon I had they would have only cost me like $3.  Silly me- I was so put out by the spot on his face, I told them I didn't want them.  Hello!! I could have photo-shopped them or something! Its funny what crazy things new Mom's do, and funny what you think is spending too much when you're a poor college student.

Since I didn't end up with professional pics of Dylan, I have just done at home pictures for everyone.  Well... I thought it would be fun to do Ashlyn's anyway.  And the tradition continued.  The pictures turned out awful! And I mean awful!!  I look at the pictures still and just want to cry.  I had such cute visions in my head of how nice they would be.  I tried to contact the company to see if we could even try just taking a couple more pictures, but they told me I had to email them any concerns, and they haven't responded.  I even tried filling out the form on their website, thinking maybe I had emailed the wrong address.  Nothing.  Honestly, I understand if they see it as a done deal, but it frustrates me that they just ignore me. It doesn't seem like very good customer service to me.  Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll go back or not. I have loved them in the past, but this just baffles me.  Anyway... I digress...

Long story short - I ended up just taking pictures myself, and they turned out cute enough.  ;)  Much, much, much better than the professional ones.  (Blah! Makes me kind of sick.)





These two expressions make me laugh.  Haha!













2 comments:

Rachel said...

WOW! You did an amazing job with these pictures! You definitely don't need the professional ones anyway! I want your camera...and your talent in using it!
Ashlyn is BEAUTIFUL, and those close ups on her face, and her dress are amazing. I love the funny facials, and I love the detail on her dress. A. MAZ. ING.

Karen K said...

Look at that dress! My goodness. Now I'm so curious to see the professional ones, to see if they're really that bad :)

Sorry we had to "bless and run" (ha!)- didn't think our kids would survive the full meeting, since we had just had Stake Conference. But glad we were there!