Sunday, July 18, 2010

Philmont

Our family was invited to come along to a week at the Philmont Training Center, located at the Philmont Scout Camp in New Mexico. For two weeks each year the General Young Men's Presidency and General Primary Presidency help to run a training for Stake Presidency's to come and really learn about the scouting program and how help make the scouting programs stronger in their stakes. I gained such a better understanding of why Scouting is such a neat program, and how it can really help the Young Men in our church become the men we want them to be. The church really wants Scouting to be the tool to accomplish this. There may be a few followers of my blog that would wonder why we were invited. A year ago Devon's dad was called to serve as a counsellor in the General Young Men's Presidency. He is such a wonderful man, and it has been so neat to watch him as he functions in this calling. Since he helps to put this on, he can bring one of his children and their family each week. We got a turn this year, and we were so excited to go. Devon got to go to a lot of training, I got to go to classes and fun activities with the other wives, and the kids had their classes and activities - even Austin. We all had a blast!!

Here we are with Devon's parents.



Each family is supposed to bring a banner to display for the week. Devon's sister Tiffany made this for the family a few years ago, and I think each family has used it ever since.

Devon and I went on a Sunrise hike to Lover's Leap. Devon's mom watched the kids for us, which was so nice because it allowed Devon and I to do something together during the week. It was a beautiful hike, and I had fun taking pictures.






The boys all had fun making crafts at the handicraft lodge. They made bug houses, space shuttles, and did some leather work.


One of the fun things I did was go on a horse ride. Do you love my tucked in shirt and riding helmet? I think my shirt looks dorky that way, but they made us do it to ride the horses. The ride was a walking one, but it was fun... other than the fact that my bottom did not agree with the saddle. I have ridden horses in the past, but not since I had children, so I don't know if that was part of my problem - it hurt within a few minutes of being on that saddle and no matter what way I tried to sit it hurt.





The ladies in our riding group.



I also did a ropes course while there. This was a swinging log where it is suspended on each end by a cable, and you have to try to walk across it. My first try I failed miserably, but my second try I was able to do it!


Here's the ropes course crew: Ginny, someone (I wish I could think of her name!!), Jocey, Holly, Laura, Roseann, Katy. We are ready for the zip line!!


Climbing up the 47 foot pole. It was awesome. When I got to top the guy asked me if I was going to jump or sit and scoot off. I said "Jump!" I got up near the edge and just couldn't make my legs jump. So I had to scoot. But I did yell "Geronimo!"



That was fun!

Near the end of the week they have the Children's Parade. The kids are supposed to make some sort of costume during the week using paper and such. For us it was also Western/Patriotic Night so the adults were all dressed up for that. There were flags lining the sidewalks that the kids paraded on. It was so fun!!
This is Sister Wixom, the new General Primary President. It was so fun to get to know her during the week. She is such a fun lady. I especially loved seeing her and her husband Jack interact. They are so funny together. You can tell they have a lot of fun in their family and there is always a lot of laughing. They they type of couple that you look at and say "I want to be like them."


Ethan would not be part of the picture with Sister Wixom. Silly boy. But look how cute he is!



Here is Jayden's Superman costume. The didn't have any red paper, so we had to use red crepe paper and glue it onto white paper. That was so much work, but he loved it!



Devon helped Dylan make this Darth Vader costume. Dylan is wielding the force here.


Our cowboy/patriotic costumes. How do we look?






Ethan was so cute! He had such a cute smile on his face the whole time; it was part shy, part proud, part happy. He loved walking in the parade. It was a bit windy, so he had to hold onto his hat, but he didn't let that bug him too much. And his chaps fell down to his ankles by the time he was done, but they looked so cute.





After dinner the boys had fun roping the cows. Dylan really got into it and had so much fun.






It was so fun to watch Dylan help Ethan.





I love to see they joy in his face as his brother succeeds.












Austin's first sucker. They were giving all the kids suckers after the parade and Devon's mom gave him one. I didn't see it till he was enjoying it already. And he loved it!







These pictures were taken in the Philmonte Villa. The way the scouts got the ranch was from a man who donated it many years ago along with thousands of acres. The Villa is fun to tour and learn about the family. Jayden wanted his pictures taken with these rugs, and I just get a kick out of the faces and poses.











We met some great friends while at Philmont. One fun family was the Dollars. Devon grew up with Matt. I had a lot of fun with Holly as we went to classes together. They actually live not too far from us, so we are hoping to keep in touch.



Ethan loved his Small Fry class. These are two of his teachers: Jenny and Renee. He is still asking often "I want to go to my building."
Here is Devon "graduating."
What a great week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! I'm so glad you all had so much fun. Thank you for including us...we love your family!! Jenny (Small Fry)

Karen K said...

Looks like tons of fun! How awesome to rub shoulders with people who your kids will see speaking at General Conference.