Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What I've been up to

This last week has been kind of crazy. About two weeks ago I decided I was going to paint Ethan's room. Before Dylan was born we got a crib and matching dresser, and for some reason I chose white furniture. Of course we were renting at the time, so we also had white walls. For the next 6 years we had white walls. We have been in our own home for a year and a half, and the room that has been Ethan's room has white walls, and white-ish carpet, so put that with white furniture and it is really boring. Of all the rooms in my house, that one has been my least favorite. Can you see why? Oh, and for some reason that carpet almost looks brown in these pictures, it really is much closer to white. It must have been my lighting as I took the picture.
So I finally had enough, and I began taping, moving furniture, and I bought paint. Then I got sick with some crazy vertigo thing. Then Ethan got sick with a nasty cold, so together for a few days we sat on the couch. He felt lousy and didn't want to do anything but sit on the couch and watch a show, usually Baby Einsteins or a show called My Day with Trains we got for free with our GeoTrax. And I didn't feel good enough to protest much. The only bad thing is now that he is starting to feel better he still constantly keeps asking to watch a show.
Toward the end of the week I started to feel better, so I painted the top half of Ethans room. The next day was a feel-lousy day after all the up and downs on the ladder, moving things around as I went wall to wall. I still wasn't totally over the vertigo thing, but enough that I could handle it. Luckily my Mom finally suggested to try some Dramamine, since for vertigo doctors often prescribe another sort of motion sickness pill. I didn't feel like going to the doctor because I wasn't feeling super sick so I tried it, and man did it work wonders. So yesterday Devon and I painted the bottom half. I got this great idea of doing his room two different colors, now my only problem (and maybe I should have figured this out BEFORE I started) is deciding what to do to finish it off. Do I find a wallpaper border or do we put up a chair rail? Or should I just paint on a faux chair rail, maybe doing some sort of fun texturing? I don't know. If you have any good ideas, let me know. I'll have to post the final product. This is my first attempt at any kind of painting, so I think I did a pretty good job. I think it would have been easier to just do one color so I would already be done, but I'm sure I will love it once I figure out the border/chair-rail thing. So please, give me your good ideas.

4 comments:

Lisa Moore said...

What is it about winter that makes everyone want to paint? Maybe it's because we can't do outdoor projects. I'm painting Sydney's room and doing beadboard next week. I would always go with a chair rail rather than wallpaper. Probably because I hate wallpaper due to all the wallpaper removing I did in our last house. Also since you did the paint before finding wallpaper it might be difficult to match, but you never know! Good job on your first painting project!

Nancy K said...

great work!

Becky and Matt said...

Your room is looking good! Don't you just love painting with kids around?

Julie said...

So cute! I've been needing to do the same thing with Jacob's room. You have given me ideas! The sad thing is that I've been in my house for 4 1/2 years :-). Someday I'll get around to it...
I had fun with you guys over the weekend! The time went too quick. You'll have to check out my blog and see the adventure I found on the way home. Yikes!