Saturday, March 2, 2013

Target Shooting

Devon and the boys wanted to go shooting, so that became our family outing this last weekend.  To tell you honestly... guns aren't really my favorite.  Of course, given the possibilities of the future, I think that its important to have some guns so for defense and hunting, should the need arise.  So, Devon has slowly been accumulating a few guns and some ammo, as part of the emergency preparedness we have been doing in our home.  I have never ever shot a gun, unless you count the BB gun that my dad would take us to shoot every once in a while as a kid.  (Fond memories there - including the willow whistles he would make when we would go, but that's another story.)

So, we decided to go out south of Saratoga Springs, only to find out that pretty much everywhere Devon has gone shooting, they have closed down.  After doing some internet searches on our phones (I love my iPhone!) we found out that just a few miles down the road, there was a dirt road we could take that had some spots that were open to target shooting.  We were so glad our outing hadn't been spoiled!  So, we set up our little targets, pulled out the BB Gun, and the .22 and Devon taught the boys about gun safety, and everything else.  I mostly watched the two little ones, who would sometimes hang out in the car, and other times I had to walk around with making sure they stayed safe.  Devon stayed with whoever was shooting the .22, and I occasionally helped the kids shoot the BB gun.  Of course after a bit they lost interest in that one.  It was kind of a lot of work for the boys to load the BB and pump the gun 10 times... just to get one shot.  All three of the boys were able to each hit a bottle of water that Devon had brought along to add to the targets. They were excited!

Once they were all done, we loaded all the kids in the car, turned on a show, and Devon pulled out the two guns he wanted me to try.  That was an experience.  The first time shooting the handgun, I jumped.  I just wasn't sure what to expect as I fired and it honestly surprised me.  I think I still hit the target, though.  It took me quite a few shots to get my bottle of water, but I finally did.  After a little bit of that, he had me shoot the rifle.  That was another experience!  He showed me basically what to do, then I crouched down and tried to do the same.  I hadn't paid particular attention to his crouching position, and apparently did it all wrong, because the kick of the gun made me just barely enough off balance that I slowly tipped over backward and landed on my rear end. I almost was able to overpower the tipping, but not quite.  Once Devon noticed me falling, he came over and stopped me from falling all the way onto my back.  It was pretty funny!  We looked over at the small family that was a short distance away, doing the same things as us, watching and laughing.  I felt kind of silly.  Then I had Devon show me more accurately how to position myself, and then I was fine.

I can now say I've fired a gun, but I can honestly say that I don't know that its my favorite thing.  Guns just kind of scare me.  Oh, well.  The boys really loved it and want to do it again, so most likely we will be out there doing it again sometime.









1 comment:

Devon said...

That was fun...we need to do it again.