Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Dylan

News Flash: We have a 9 year old in our house!

Dylan had a great birthday.  He got to invite a ton of friends and cousins since we did it at his karate.  It was such a fun party!  Master Pierce taught some basics of karate (he even had the adults participate).  Look at our moves!


Next was an obstacle course for the kids.  They would see how quick they could get around it, and then break a board at the end. 



Then they had some free time.  It was a bit crazy, but they all had fun!




I made this awesome ice cream cake.  The day was kind of busy getting ready.  I finished this "cake" right before the kids got to our house to carpool over. I hurried and cut out a stencil from paper of a karate guy, trying to make sure it came out okay, then hurried and put some words on the cake, then into the freezer it went.  It wasn't until we were getting the cake out to serve that I realized I had not payed attention to the orientation of the karate guy and my words.  Oh, well.  I think it still turned out pretty good.  It still tasted fabulous!  My favorite was when we were serving it up and I would ask the kids which ice cream they wanted.  They would insist they wanted cake, not ice cream.   I would just smile and laugh inside, and dish them up ICE CREAM cake.  There was no cake in it, though... just ice cream than had been softened, smashed into the pan, then whipped cream for the frosting.  They said it was delicious.  When Master Pierce had some he was asking me how I made it. He said it was soooo good. 

Master Pierce brought out a special knife to cut the cake... or should I say sword. 


I wish I had gotten a good group picture, but I honestly didn't think about it or get a good chance.  Dylan had a great birthday, and I guess that's all that matters. 

We actually had the party on the Saturday before his birthday, since his birthday was on a Monday, and Devon was flying out of town that very evening.  So on his birthday he recieved a pet fish, and we took him to dinner to Chuck A Rama (his choice) on our way to the airport.  He had been telling me that for his birthday he wanted a pet wolf...  if not a pet wolf, then a baby wolf... if not a baby wolf... then a scorpion... and if not a scorption then AT LEAST a goldfish!  Devon and I talked about it, we debated back and forth of what to do.  There was a tiny bit of tempation to get him a dog - he would LOVE it and be so suprised and excited, but the reality is he isn't ready to take care of a dog.  We talked about lizards and turtles, but in the end a fish won out.  They are cheap to buy, so is the setup, so is the care. They are easy to care for.  And... the big clincher... can't escape if the lid is left open.  We got him a betta fish.  He was so thrilled!  He kept saying over and over: I'm so glad I got a pet. I really wanted one!

At nine years old:

Dylan tries to be a helper in our home.  He loves to try to make things easier for me by helping his brothers or sister - if they will let them. He really wants to be able to change wet diapers for me, but Lauren and Austin are a bit too wiggly for him. 

Dylan has a strong testimony of the gospel.  He knows so much, and it is so fun to hear him think things through as he tries to do what is right. 

Dylan's favorite sports to play are baseball and flag football. 

Dylan LOVES BYU football and hopes to be able to play on the team someday. 

Dylan loves legos, nerf guns, Lego Hero Factory, and army men.  He can play for hours creating things out of his legos.

Dylan loves to read.  This is an understatement.  I can't get the kid to stop reading!  For school we are supposed to keep track of what he reads.  I honestly just guess, but I know it is way under. This last month we turned in him having read over 1600 minutes, but I'm guessing it was probably double that - its just so hard to measure it.  He reads every chance he gets, including (or should I say especially) when he is supposed to be doing something else like getting dressed, cleaning his room, or brushing his teeth.  His favorite books are Star Wars, Magic Tree House, and Harry Potter. 

Dylan loves to play with his brothers.  If he's not reading, he's usually playing with them.  They come up with all sorts of fun things to do, and often I think Dylan is the one who comes up with the ideas. 

Dylan has a great sense of humor.  He laughs at jokes that I wouldn't think he would understand.  He loves to read the comics and laughs and laughs as he reads them.

Dylan looks the bright side of things.  When something goes wrong, he is usually saying "Well, at least..." and can see the good in just about any situation.

All in all, Dylan is such a great boy, and we love having him in our family! 

2 comments:

wanderer said...

Happy Birthday! What a great young man Dylan is becoming. Looks like everyone had fun. We miss you guys!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday, Dylan. It is crazy he is 9!
What a fun boy and a fun party!