Friday, February 24, 2012

Why I don't like tile:

I really don't care for our tile.  Dishes break way too easily on it, and it is such a pain to keep sparkling clean.  I do clean my floor regularly, but that dirt just gets trapped in the grout and texture of the tile. Maybe there is some better way of cleaning it, and if you know the secret, please share.  Now that Lauren is crawling around, I thought I better scrub the tile good. Some of her shirts have already started to get  dirty when the sleeves are white.  So, I've been spending a lot of time on my hands and knees, scrubbing away at the tile and grout.  I've been working at it for a couple of weeks, and I still have a lot more to go.  Part of the problem is how long it takes to scrub it all out, and the fact that I still have three little ones as home which means not a lot of time to spend just cleaning my floor.  I've thought about hiring someone, but the last time we did that I remember not being impressed with how much I had spent, and how I still didn't think my floor looked that clean.  So seriously, if you know a better quick solution, let me know!

5 comments:

Nancy K said...

So, I just pinned this on pinterest. I haven't tried it yet, so if you try it let me know how it works. It said this is the best way to get your grout clean.

1/2 cup baking soda
1⁄3 cup household ammonia
1/4 cup white vinegar
7 cups warm water
Directions:
1Combine in a gallon container,do yourself a favor, and put the water in FIRST!

2Shake.

3Don't get it near anything with BLEACH!

4To use: Fill a spray bottle, spray onto tile/grout- wipe with a damp cloth or sponge, or use a scrub brush.

Good luck

Rachel said...

I don't have any helpful hints. I have tile as the counter space on my kitchen island and I also hate it. I would hate it even more as a floor. That's a whole lot o' tile/grout to clean! I think I'm going to use Nancy's "recipe" on my kitchen counter tile though. I'll let you know if it's any easier than other cleaning ways I've tried.

Kim said...

Sargent Steam!!! When I get home I can show you how. I got paid $150 once to clean a lady's kitchen with mine so....I know :)

Karen K said...

I was just going to look it up for you on Pinterest because I saw something about it there (seriously love that site), but looks like Nancy already covered that!

Rachel said...

K, I'm coming back to let you know I tried it. And it did work a lot better than the other chemicals I used. It still required a lot of scrubbing. But much less of it, and a lot better results.