Monday, June 22, 2009

Do you think we have enough?


I have planted strawberries from neighbors the last 2 years, and this year we are finally reaping the benefits. We have strawberries this year! I have been picking on average a bowl a day for the last few weeks, although I don't make it out everyday. We went about a week without picking, and look what we got. And there are still more that need picking! The good news is my boys are pretty good at eating a lot of strawberries. And any extras I can freeze until I'm ready to make some freezer jam.


The other night we were feeling like making some good old homemade ice cream. I went and bought the ingredients and we made some Rocky Road Ice Cream. It was sooo good. But of course after the fact I added up the costs and decided it would have been a lot cheaper to buy it already made. But that takes the fun out of it, right? Here's the recipe if you're looking for a good one.


Rocky Road Ice Cream (From Allrecipes.com)

PREP TIME 5 Min
COOK TIME 5 Min
READY IN 1 Hr
Original recipe yield 2 quarts

INGREDIENTS
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup light cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup miniature marshmallows

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan over low heat, cook and stir condensed milk and cocoa until smooth and slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Remove from heat , and allow to cool slightly. Stir in heavy cream, light cream, and vanilla. Refrigerate until cold.
Pour mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Stir in nuts and marshmallows halfway through the freezing process.

4 comments:

Nat said...

WOw! Delicious! When we are ready to plant strawberries someday I will call you for tips on a good harvest. Obviously you know what you are doing.

Rachel said...

Yum!

In my defense, we did go out there and pick some that day I babysat. Granted, we didn't do a TON, but still some.

You should do strawberry shortcake. I LOVE strawberry shortcake.

Nancy K said...

YUM!!!!!
I love strawberries on waffles!!!

Karen K said...

Jealous! I really need to try harder to kill the bugs who are killing my strawberries. Mmmm...rocky road. I'm getting hungry now.