Monday, February 28, 2011

Just the Two of Us

Note: This is a blog post, not a brag post. Hopefully you see it that way too. =) I turn my blog into a book, and of course this needs to be in there!

Devon and I decided to take a little vacation before this next baby is born. We had always imagined for our 10 year anniversary that we would return to Hawaii where we had our Honeymoon. Our anniversary will be just a few weeks after this baby is born, so we thought we could just celebrate it early so that we don't have to tote around a newborn. At first we thought instead of our grand Hawaii trip, that we would just sneak away somewhere for a weekend. But as I really thought about it, all I really wanted was some warm sun and a beach. Somewhere relaxing. Somewhere just like the resort we stayed at 5 years ago with Devon's family. So... it became a big debate... try something new or somewhere else and hope it is along the lines of what sounded nice... or be less adventurous and go where we have already been. In the end the familiar won out. We returned to the Moon Palace in Cancun. Plans were made, passports renewed, babysitters hired, small issues figured out and finally we went to Cancun. And it was fabulous. Just what we wanted, just what really sounded nice. We were spoiled, we were pampered. Fabulous.


We took it pretty easy, wandering the beach lots as we went from one section of the resort to another. We took lots of pictures of things we wanted to show the boys, like this pelican.


This was the mediation garden. Other than while Devon posed for the picture, and when I took my turn for a similar picture, we didn't see anyone ever using it. =)


I just couldn't get over how beautiful the grounds of the resort were as well as the beach. We also saw tons of these iguanas everywhere. We learned that the males have spikes on their backs and the females don't. Also I noticed the females were always smaller.


We had fun playing mini golf together. Again, iguana's were everywhere. I didn't like when they were this close... especially if I had to turn my back to them as I played.






I was surprised to see these signs posted at different areas around the resort. It says "Crocodile Home. Do not disturb. Do not feed." I always hoped we'd see a crocodile on the edges, just because that seemed kind of cool, and not something you would ever see in Utah... but we never did.

We did see quite a few coatimundi around the resort. Of course the only time we got a picture of one was in the turtle exhibit at at the Xpu-Ha Palace Resort where we ate lunch at one day. It was a wild one that had just wandered in looking for algae or something in the pond. The funny thing is that not too far from this exhibit, they had an exhibit of coatimundi.
.

We did take one day to go see the ruins at Tulum. I seriously could not get over the beauty of this place. (Just wait and see the following pictures... you'll see what I mean.) The Mayans built this place as a fort. On one side they built a wall, and on the other side is cliffs with the beach below. Behind Devon's head and to the right is the temple.



There were so many ways that we were pampered: manicures, pedicures, a 25 minute massage, all you can eat from around 10 different restaurants, delicious ice cream that we enjoyed about twice a day while lounging on the beach or around the pool, virgin Miami vices, waiters who frequently walked along the beach to ask you if you would like him to bring you anything (food, drinks, etc), a 50 minute couples massage, taking a limo to Hard Rock Cafe to fulfill the tradition of getting a shirt from wherever we visit, professional pictures of the two of us. The nice thing is that all these things were included in our packaged-deal with the resort.




There were also different boats on the beach you could use for free. We had fun taking these catamarans out a couple times. Neither of us had sailed anything before, so we had fun taking turns of trying to get a good wind and going up and down the coast of our hotel.


I love the sunrises!
Here are a few of the professional pictures they took. I think it is kind of fun since we were celebrating our ten year anniversary. It felt like engagement pictures (except for the part of taking pictures with my belly).
We had fun. The kids had fun - they keep asking when we are leaving again so the sitters can come again. What a memorable week!

This is a little video I made trying to capture the sounds the birds would make. I meant to find out what they were called, and never did. They made so many different sounds - most of them beautiful. However, nearly every morning around 6:30, one would sit right out our door and squawk so loudly it was impossible to sleep. If you could take away the squawking, the sounds these birds make is so beautiful to wake up to. I didn't get a recording of the squawking, but I this one does have some of the beautiful sounds.

8 comments:

Karen K said...

Sounds perfect! Cute pictures of you two.

Rachel said...

WAHOO! I totally know what you mean about a brag post. There have been so many things I've wanted to blog about because it's something that's part of my life, but I don't want others to think I'm just bragging.

I love all the pictures! So beautiful!!!! It looks so relaxing and fun! Also, did you really want to see an alligator? You know they have huge mouths with lots of teeth, right??? I wouldn't want to see one! :)

Lyle, Heather, Suzie, Becca and Caleb said...

It looks like a wonderful trip!!! I am so glad that you guys got to have a wondeful trip!! Happy 10th!!

wanderer said...

It sounds wonderful. Glad you had a great time. You look beautiful!

David and Jana said...

How fun! So glad you had a wonderful get-a-way. Perfect way to celebrate 10 years, maybe I will have to give a hint to David about ours...

Nancy K said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa Moore said...

That looks soooo nice. I'm glad you got to do something awesome like that for your 10 year. We're hoping to celebrate big for that one too. Such a fun idea to get pictures done of the two of you too! They look beautiful!

James said...

what beautiful photo's of the both of you. Roseann you look "bloomin" lovely with just a few weeks to go before the arrival of your little girl, good luck xxx